Friday, August 27, 2010

Updates on where I went yesterday. Today is a rest day for me, I found a blister on one of my feet, so I'm looking around the uni's website instead (it's massive...)

~~~~~~~
So, yesterday I went to have a look at Yerba Buena park, right next to my uni's main building and right opposite the Museum of Modern Art. Kind of a nice touch to have parks in the middle of the city; besides this one, there are several smaller parks scattered around SF. Also makes a difference that the weather is cooler here and the air is not so polluted. Most people walk or cycle or take public transport(mainly the electric bus:it's connected to a wiring system at the top of the bus,like the train or the trams in Melbourne)


SF is quite bike friendly, they have bicycle lanes here, and you can bring it with you on the subway and buses. SF is quite dog friendly too, come to think of it. Just today I saw someone bring their dog into Borders, and it wasn't a service dog either.

The MoMA as seen from Yerba Buena park.
Some interesting building, I dunno what it's function is.
The park is having their Yerba Buena Gardens Festival until October. I just wandered in without expecting to see a performance going on.The one on that day was folk music, if I'm not mistaken, it was Mexican.
The Shaking Man sculpture.
The Martin Luther King Jr. memorial. It's a waterfall with a wall full of quotes behind it.

~~~~~~~
After that, it was to Chinatown to top up on potatoes and then back home to cook another freeze-able meal. On the way, I bought this canned drink because I thought it was pretty. That's double the size of a usual canned drink. Tastes almost exactly like Justea (yay, I found a substitute) Bananas are pretty cheap to,you can get some for 30 something cents per pound, and that was organic, fair trade and imported (but still the cheapest I found) as well.
Here's the amount of ingredients I used for making Sheperd Pie. So it better be good.
Imagine the sheperd in question was semi vegetarian. Yup. I think I'll make a new policy of eating less meat and more vegetables. The battery farmed animal thing is pretty scary, I don't think even battery farmed animals in Malaysia have it as bad as they do here. At least I know the goats get to smell the same polluted outside air as Malaysian humans do.

This is the inside of the pie.
And the outside.
And I think the top is supposed to be more burnt than that. In the end it tasted more or less the same as my beef stew with mashed potatoes, except more spicy. But then again, the ingredients were more or less the same anyway.

Oh, and here's a fun fact. Did you know that nutmeg (buah pala) in large doses can be used as a kind of drug?I heard that desperate prisoners use it that way (although I dunno how they can get huge amounts of spices in their cells in the first place) That's why if you have any food cooked with nutmeg in it, you shouldn't feed it to your pet dog.

No comments: