Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Today, I went to see Grace Cathedral, which until today I only passed by while going grocery shopping. It's built in the Gothic style, and is famous for it's labyrinth and Ghiberti doors

This is the labyrinth that you'd walk for meditation, based on the medieval labyrinth of Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres. There's this one, and another one outdoors as well.
The nave. The lighting is a bit wonky, makes me think I should have gotten a dslr instead and be able to control the iso and white balance.Doesn't really do the building justice.
The rose window as seen from inside.



Ribbed vaults(the x shaped supporting beams at the ceiling), which are typical for Gothic cathedrals




The Names project's AIDS quilt
If I remember correctly,this is a plaque commemorating the founding of UN in San Francisco
Entrance to the cathedral
The Ghiberti doors.From Wikipedia:They are a copy of the doors of the Florence Baptistry by Lorenzo Ghiberti, also dubbedGates of Paradise

And more pictures of the exterior


So after that, I walked to Lafayette park, exploring the neighbourhood on the way.

Some interesting buildings.

Finally got to take a picture of the tram.
The view from Lafayette park. It was getting misty in the evening.
Some weird looking tree.
And another interesting building.I suspect someone actually lives here.

No comments: