Saturday, August 21, 2010

More pictures.

The leftovers from a Western dinner I had. Only managed to eat half of it, eventhough it was only vegetarian. Here's the other half. Cost $12 or 13, so the bigger the better, I'd say. Asian food is generally half that size and half the price too(but probably more worth it because it has meat and more exotic ingredients)

Entrance to Chinatown. This is street is the touristy area, so the first time I went there to get groceries I made the mistake of walking down this whole street, which has nothing but gimmicky tourist souvenirs. The part worth shopping for ingredients is only 2 blocks away from where I stay. Lots of tourists. Bytheway, the Asian grocers mostly speak only Chinese, especially those from the older generations. Their kids seem to be pretty fluent and loud spoken in English though.
I tried this in Chinatown. They call it sate(actually it was spelt saday) but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Kajang sate stuff we have back home. The sauce has no peanuts, and the other ingredients are what you would put in any other Chinese soup noodle. And the meat is not barbecued.
And then at last this morning I got some ingredients to make halfway decent meals by myself, and stop depending on restaurants. Its pretty expensive if you concider that I can get by with $2 to cook fried rice at home (meatless, but so was the green wrap with fries) And I found the most gloriously awe inspiring mutant of produce in Chinatown. Look how big that onion is! It's about 4 times the size of the regular purple onions you can get back in Malaysia.The tomato is 2 times bigger than usual.(The purple onions and the potato don't look mutated, just put there for size comparison, and the potato looks cute, like it's blushing)

I think I prefer yellow onions now though. It makes you tear less when you cut it, it's crunchier, also indirectly that makes cutting a bit easier. Purple onions make me tear to the point of not being able to open my eyes, if I so much as cut the bottom off(and my knives are new and sharp).Apparently purple onions taste better, but then again I'm the type who can't differentiate between pork and chicken, so that's alright.
And this is the amount of food I cooked to use up just one of those onions, plus add another serving of spaghetti sauce.Hmm...4 meals of spaghetti and 3 meals of fried rice.It's quite enjoyable shopping for ingredients though. Everything is only a few cents on the board (per pound though)So...see...cook at home. Milk and corn are cheap here.(they grow corn and cows here, of course) Dried Chinese mushrooms are expensive though. $6 for a regular sized packet, which doesn't weigh anything at all. Lee Kum Kee sauces can be found here, and slightly cheaper too. I'm guessing this is because it's made in Hong Kong, so it's more expensive to export to Malaysia than US.
I think I'll be going back to the supermarket tomorrow to get spices. Need to plan ahead to widen my cooking repertoire. And I saw the most awesomely steep road on the way there, so I'll take pictures. Its 30 degrees incline or more, I think.Think of the folding city in Inception, except that gravity applies. Something like that. Bytheway, lugging groceries across terrain like this, bound to loose weight.

No comments: