Sunday, August 8, 2010

Time to binge on Malaysian food before it's too late. I found out a few places that sell kuih, so I decided to systematically demolish a list of them, since you can't eat too many of them in one go or you'll feel sick.(disclaimer:The next few pictures were not taken by me, just gleaned from google)

Last week: Ang koo, kuih koci and pulut panggang. This week, kuih kaya and onde-onde.BTW I didn't know half of those names until recently, I just know them as the blue thing, or the thing with coconut on top. And the odd thing is that I don't usually eat this stuff, but I'm pretty sure I will miss it the moment I can't have any. I think I will continue the list the next chance I get.

And also, the food that I will miss the most: Cholesterol laden mamak food.
Nasi lemak sotong. Glorious. Actually the regular place I get mine from is run by a Chinese couple in Sungei Way market, but I think it's the best so far. Its the chicken curry that makes it fabulous. And I know most people don't like the nuts and ikan bilis in the rice, but that's my favourite part. As a consolation, my sister found a recipe for chili sotong that matches the nasi lemak one quite well, if only I can find the ingredients and my roommates don't mind the smell.
Murtabak. My mouth actually watered when I was looking for this picture.
White fungus and longan soup. My mom made some today.
Char siu pau. I was looking for vegetarian pau, as in the one made with turnip, but its pretty hard to get them, what I got instead was vegetarian char siu pau...conned in that sense, but it tastes pretty good anyway.
Hmm...what have I missed out...mamak mixed rice, currypuff, rojak, various Indian rotis. I hope there will be a culinary school near mine with many Indian students, but I don't think that's likely.

~~~~~~~
On a side note, I just found out today that the luggage allowance to the US is 2 bags, 23kgs each, which means 46 kgs altogether. Usually that would mean a heck lot of extra packing space, but there's also the issue of the bags having to be within a certain size, so for me it just means I have to buy another bag, and I get to check in all my luggage. I may even handcarry a pillow over, since they don't provide those in the dorms.

No comments: