Tuesday, August 3, 2010


Ahh...here are some pictures of what I've been doing these past few days.

1) handmade pasta.I made pasta verde(spinach pasta) ravioli, but the sauce is just the usual 'chinese style' pasta sauce i have at home. Turned out ok(the spinach doesn't add to the flavour anyway, just for colour)only thing that it's quite difficult to roll out, since i don't have a pasta machine. So it was a bit thick.And I ran out of meat halfway, so some pasta was just cut into(pretty fat) strands


2 and 3)When there's not much spare time of if I've already eaten, I make drinks instead. So far I've tried Chrysanthemum and Ginseng drink(I swear you can't taste ginseng).Basically it's chrysanthemum flowers boiled with ginseng roots in water and rock sugar to taste. The second drink is ice blended orange juice that I tried at at restaurant and wanted to try making at home as well. The unique thing about it is that they added crushed bits of those flat red coin shaped chinese sweets (my mom says its called san char peng) and some grated lemon peel. Didn't subject my blender to ice crushing torment, so I just half froze a cup of juice and gave it a stir instead.

4) Well, this one's not really done by me. My mom's planting some spring onions in a spare pot we have on the balcony.Orange peel courtesy of me though. Sort of like small scale composting. My mom doesn't allow animal parts, oily vegetables waste and banana peel in those pots because of the smell and fruit flies.Orange peel looks kind of festive to me. And smells nice, eventhough it's rotting . lol...
Tried some out today, cooked in a soup. Their small compared to spring onion bought at the stores, but they are organic, so it's to be expected. I remember my sister and I tried planting corn before, and we got only 1 small cob out of 3 plants. So that shows there must be a lot of hidden chemicals in mass production farms.
5) Batu Caves. Yeah, I live in Selangor and have never gone to Batu Caves before. So when ktm extended their line from Sentul to Batu Caves, i used the opportunity. Usually other people will not bother to purposely drive there, especially if it's not Thaipusam.
Tried observing the sculptures and using The Powers Of My South East Asian Art Knowledge to interpret them, but mostly failed.
Lots of monkeys. Just thankful none of them attacked me and made me fall down all 272 steps(I wonder if that's happened before).The babies are quite cute actually.Lots of pigeons too, I kept imagining picking one of them up and using it as a cannonball, their not scared of the visitors at all.
Stairs up to the main temple. FYI Malaysian Nature Society organises cave explorations to see the things that live in the caves. Like gigantic spiders and such, if you like that.
The spear shaped opening of the cave
One of the small shrines in the cave.This one is a Ganesha statue. right?Oh Criccy, you're such a genius...

Also got myself some Indian bangles, which I've been looking for for ages. I don't think they even sell them at Pasar Seni. BTW beware of fleecing, I saw some stalls that sold the bangles for RM45 whereas I got mine for RM10, and even then I wonder if I should have bargained the price down.

No comments: