Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I just finished watching 28 weeks later. Interestingly, I just found out it's actually a sequel to a movie called 28 days later D8.


Actually, I didn't have very high expectations for the movie, probably just another lame zombie movie, right?I dunno whether I like it or not. In terms of storyline, it felt like there was a potential for the family story to be fleshed out more, but instead it was filled in 90% of the time by bloodied infected humans running around and screaming and generally acting mad.That's the thing with zombie movies right? The whole time at the back of your head you are thinking, really, it isn't going to take much to outsmart them if all they do is run around waving their arms. But on the other hand, it was actually pretty entertaining to watch the whole gore fest. I guess its the same reason why you feel satisfied bursting a really fat pimple or trying to burp for as long as possible. Really gross, but there's a sense of achievement there. Looking at the amount the zombies bleed when they are shot makes you think that in those operation documentaries you see on Discovery channel, the doctors should be wading knee high in blood.Oh well, artistic license makes everything more fun.

Also...the storyline may be a bit predictable. I dunno if it should be categorized as having 'a lot of foreshadowing' which is a good thing, or 'predictable' which is a bad thing. The music was kind of good, but somehow it reminds me of the music from Inception. One thing I hated for sure was the theme about countries. The 'savior' army are American, the 'ones that need to be helped' are British, and 'the ones that will die next' are French. For one, it's predictable, again, and also it seems a bit prejudiced. But I also didn't like how it was constantly reinforced that 'this is Britain' we have picture of our political leaders on our merry go rounds, and here are several shots of London. And then this is France, here is a shot of the Eiffel Tower, in case you didn't know. They could have been a lot more subtle on that, it turned out to feel a bit gimmicky.

Surprisingly, Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 70% rating. I usually disagree with RT, but then again they are usually pretty harsh on their ratings, harsher than me, so I dunno how the movie scored so high.I suspect there is a lot more special effects than there appears to be though. Maybe they had to model all their bird eye view shots in the computer, definitely needed for the firebombing shots, probably needed for the shots where the whole city is deserted.The zombies though, are probably achievable with tomato sauce, some extras, some dummies and strap on explosives for the shots and slashes.

No comments: