Friday, November 12, 2010

Been really lazy to go grocery shopping these past few days. Thinking about Chinatown or walking uphill 10 blocks to my usual grocery place makes me tired. The thing about Chinatown is that it's like the entire oriental population of the earth is jammed into that area, regardless if you go at opening time, at closing time, in the middle of the day, on weekdays, weekends, holidays or any other occasion you can think of. And people walk really slowly there. And they shove. And there are a lot of old people there, who walk slowly, and stop in the middle of the walkway suddenly for unknown reasons, causing pile ups behind them. Oh yeah, plus various juices from the butcher, fishmonger, garbage trucks and produce transport vehicles splashing and flowing all over the place. Only thing is that buying fresh food there is always cheaper than supermarkets, even with their 'unbelievable offers, this week only'.

I think I'm probably being sarcastic. Next topic.

Made chana masala, which sounds glorious, but didn't live up to my expectations. It's chickpeas and spinach with Indian spices. I have big amounts of spinach and pak choy in my fridge now thanks to my determination to eat leafy green vegetables for a change. My stomach will have to race against the forces of nature to finish everything before they start drying up or sticking to the walls of the fridge too much. But I also tried boiling broccoli, and pouring on top of it a mixture of oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and pepper, and that tasted really good, especially for something so simple. Tried that sauce poured onto boiled turkey, and eaten with Thai chili sauce, and it's quite a good substitute for chicken rice in a land void of kopitiams.

My latest classroom sculpture. We have the same model come in for 3 weeks in a row and we make a sculpture of them, except this time it was more like 2 weeks because of a schedule mix up, but out current topic is busts. This is before being hollowed, so I will continue to add some smaller details, since the process of separating the sculpture from the armature and hollowing it, and transporting it around will result in a certain amount of smushing. Once I very ungracefully transported the bust from one room to the other using 2 hands, my chin, hip bones and guttural sound effects, only to unwrap it and find the nose half the size it used to be. Hollowing out a bust on the other hand, looks like lobotomy from the dark ages.The model doesn't look exactly like that and I doubt she would make that kind of expression(we had to customise the expression and pose to our liking, the model just sat straight with a neutral expression), but overall alright for a first try, I guess. The good thing is that it's 1:1 ratio, so we measured off the model's head and copied that directly, although somehow or other variations will occur.

No comments: