Monday, December 10, 2007

of Kari kepala Mawi and other bad advertisements

I dunno why,but recently I've been noticing a lot of bad advertisements.Let's start with the one in the title.


1) At first it was Mawi's face all over the ugly packaging and all over the van.Nothing unusual as most things had Mawi's face plastered all over it in the period after Akademi fantasia finished that season.But mawi's face isn't all that appetising nor is it capable of making anyone salivate,so I don't think it's suitable to promote food right? What I'm talking about of course, is Mamee mee.Now they have a really stupid tagline with the Akademi Fantasia gang."Bila dah glamor,slluuuuurrrrppppppp saja lah" or something like that. That's by far the stupidest tagline I've ever heard.So they think that fame allows you to be as rude as you want? Or is bad table manners now very hip?

Mawi eating mamee mee at a neighbouring table:"Slllllllluuuuuurrrrrppppppp" bits of noodles and saliva fly everwhere.*Slow motion effect.*

Fangirl at neighbouring table:*swoon**pikapika eyes effect*

Mawi:turns to audience "Bila dah glamor,slllllluuuuurrrrrrrrrrppppppp saja lah!" *Thumbs up**Winks eye*

In the first place,I dunno what is so great about mawi anyways.He cannot sing,he's not good looking,he's not charming. He doesn't even have stable morals,according to my mum,because he left his girlfriend when he achieved fame.My personal opinion is that Malaysia has too few talented singers,so we have to make do with the less than mediocre ones and make a big hype over them to cover up their shortcomings. However,it is funny that I found this yesterday:The stuff of well deserving celebrities:

2)Amber Chia. Everyone knows just how overused her face is. Yet another overrated celebrity,I've only yet seen her use one expression for every single advertisement she models for. But it was rather suspicious that she's the ambassador for Celebrity Fitness and yet today i saw an advertisement of her promoting a slimming drink. Did she give up on exercising and turn to Smart Shop-like miracle cure scams?

3)The next one,I forgot the brand.It is a radio advertisement.I think it's white horse."My friends think I have great taste. But I know better.I use White Horse ceramic tiles" That's bad copywriting thru and thru. It's implying that the woman has disastrous taste,so she has to rely on the tiles company to impress her guests.

I don't want to be like that woman.

4)Next one,yet another radio advertisement.A community awareness message with good intentions but either bad copywriting or bad reading.The one about finning.Can't remember the whole script,just that the reading sounded wierd no matter how many times I listened to it.I think they stopped playing that ad already.

5)last one,another radio ad. This time it's bad recording,eventhough yes,the advertisement was a bit flimsy too.
Woman:(something about having to pay for her new house)
Husband:"And home sweet home,I only bought one pair of shoes"
*unknown sound,Until today I'm wondering if it really is the sound of a sliding car door,or maybe it's sliding something across a table a la manga style
Husband:"Sorry,I lied,I bought socks too."
Woman:*Sudden change of accent* "You knew It'd upset the house."

I wonder what that sound effect in the middle was and why the woman changed her accent from "normal Malaysian wife" to "70's American calendar girl" so quickly

No comments: