Monday, October 18, 2010

Here's some pics of new recipes I've been trying. Running out of ideas about what to cook these past few weeks, mostly it's been improvising old recipes to suit whatever ingredients I have in the kitchen.

Roasted pumpkin and spinach lasagna. It has bechamel sauce on top, which is milk with butter and flour, so after baking it looks almost like cheese. I intentionally skipped the cheese in this lasagna though, it's probably not good that I've been eating so much of it lately. That and red meat. And potatoes, come to think of it.Roasted butternut pumpkin tastes really good though, and you don't really have to peel it.
Left: Broccoli tomato pasta with lemon juice, Right: Potato salad. Not a big fan of lemon juice on pasta, so I've been trying to finish up the portion by eating a bit of it at every meal. (And yes, this plate has too much carbohydrates on it)
Besides those, I went out for an Indian lunch on Sunday with my Malaysian friends here. It's been so long since I've had a professionally prepared Indian meal, so that was satisfying. (so just have to take care of the croissant, sushi and chocolate cravings next) Tried paneer naan, since I've been curious about how paneer tastes like. It's a type of cheese, which is pretty mild. And...

kari kambing :)

Well...more accurately mutton masala. But that's one to keep in mind if I eat at that restaurant again.I overate though...so I had a weird feeling in my stomach for the rest of the day.

Also, I've been craving chocolate these past few days. I purposely went out to get a candy bar the other day, and made an excuse that I had to buy toothpaste.Don't recognise the candy that they sell here. I wanted a Crunchie. So I'm planning to make a really indulgent chocolate pudding soon. Maybe it's the effect of eating too much vegetables. I noticed though, that most vegetarian recipes will have cheese in it. It's like there has to be some animal component somewhere. But if you are vegan, good luck. Find a house near a forest and gather your food from there.

I know, right. Being a modern human, there's no way of being fully sinless towards nature unless you actually gather your own food from the forest.And walk around naked. And have no mode of transport except your legs. And basically isolate yourself from the rest of the world.Also, your house can only be either a cave or woven out of fallen tree branches.

~~~~~~~
Speaking of which, I've been slightly sick these past few days. The weather is fluctuating like a chameleon on drugs, so I've been loosing my voice and getting my throat clogged with phlegm. Been thinking of going for a blood drive organised by the uni in a week's time too, so I hope I can get well before that. People have been encouraged to get vaccinated for the flu season though. I dunno if it can get serious here? To me a flu is just a flu...so no vaccination for me.

~~~~~~~
Also, I've been thinking of new places to stay during Winter, and for Summer onwards next year. I have to be back in the same place for Spring because of my contract, but other than that I want to look for somewhere cheaper. I've been hearing that some places in the outskirts can be as low as $500-600 per month, compared to $1230 I'm paying now. Only drawback is that it will take more time and money commuting back to uni and the city area, and there might not be as many nearby amenities such as grocery stores and launderettes(is it time to get a bike? No, Yeen Yee, what about when it's time to shift?). But in the outskirts it doesn't feel as congested as in the city, all there is in the city is apartments, whereas there are proper houses in the outskirts, with more trees and no high buildings to block off the view.

No comments: