Monday, June 30, 2008

My mom asked me this question again today:"You can handle staying by yourself or not?" .This question came about because my parents are planning to go to Australia next January to visit my sister and help her take care of her soon to be baby.I cannot follow,because of college,and they will be there for 1 month.


Actually the question of looking after myself is long overdue lah,because actually my parents are supposed to be like totally globe trotting by themselves now,but up till now i'm still tagging along,feels quite paiseh also,especially since travelling is so expensive nowadays.(btw my parents saved a total of RM800 by buying their Aussie air tickets earlier on before the petrol price hike.The price to fly to Aussie is crazy now,and don't even think of flying to UK)

So back to the original story...

I thiiiiink I can handle gua...driving is no problem,I will have full usage of the family car.The main problem is probably food.Since I'm like a total cordon bleu chef.My mom plans to pre cook some dishes and store them in the freezer.But I somehow don't see that supply lasting for 1 whole month and still tasting the way it was meant to.Cooking vegetables should still be no problem.The most difficult is when it comes to meat.First of all I need to prepare small 1 person portions or at least 3 meals portions.And secondly I don't think I would dare to cook some chicken.It will probably turn out burnt/tasteless/too salty/messy/plain embarassing.And most of all,I'm scared of hot oil.That fear is not baseless ok,I know how it feels like to have hot oil splash on you arms.

So there will probably be 2 alternate endings to my 1 month adventure:
#1:I will end up looking like Ronald McDonald's sister after giving up and resorting to fast food/TV dinners/mamakcoffeeshop food made of highly suspect ingredients.

#2:I will look like one of those war torn country starving children you see in national geographic magazines.

I'm quite paranoid about food quality.It's not really that true that what you don't know can't hurt you,if what you don't know is chemicals leaching into your food and unsafe levels of mercury/lead/colouring/msg/preservatives/salt/sugar/3 months old reused  oil/pesticides/insecticides/herbicides/homicides and missing fingers.

So my back up plan is to buy easy to prepare food like bread/sardines/tuna inna can/cornflakes/oats etc.I'm quite used to this plan since those kind of food is what I go for when I stay up pass midnight.

I can so totally see #2 happening.

Which might be a good thing.

No comments: