Saturday, April 26, 2008

The sinful gluttony post

Hmm...if I were about to leave Malaysia,say to study or work abroad,I think I would have to go on a food eating spree.Malaysia is lame compared to other countries in all aspects except food.Ask anybody who has migrated overseas and they would agree too.


So here's my list of food for a food spree ala Malaysian:

-Nasi lemak.Easy winner for the top spot.The Malay nasi lemak they sell at the stall opposite New Apollos in USJ4 and the Chinese one they sell at Sungei Way wet market are my favourite.The malay one has very fragrant rice and the people who sell the rice are very friendly and can remember you by name even if you have been overseas for a few years.(they remembered my uncle who migrated to Aussieland)The Chinese one actually has quite a disgusting location,right next to the chicken stalls and there are chickens being slaughtered not far away.But the food is nice,good price and good portion,plus the curry is like totally syok.

-Roti canai.It's very cheap here okaaay.60 cents per piece usually.Go to Aussie land and it's prolly around Aussie$3 per piece,which is almost RM9.Straight from the hot plate (even if you would feel better not knowing that the mamak just went to the toilet or dug his nose 5 minutes ago)warm and crunchy with many thin layers and drenched with sauce.

-Nasi campur ala mamak.The best one is in Goodyear court(number what, i dunno) in USJ,near Mark's Barber shop.Very generous portions,me and my mum usually have to share one packet.The best thing is the mutton curry and what I suppose is bayam.My mom suspects there are drugs in the rice cos it's so nice.lol...

-Indian rojak.The best one is sold out of the back of a van in SS14,opposite the petrol station near the drive thru McDs.Ignore McDs and go straight for the rojak ok.Their fries can last for 2 months without rotting.(oh wait,it just occured to me that buying a few packets and putting them under you bed is a good plan to battle 1 college term worth of midnight cravings if you are an outstation student)Anyways,back to the rojak,my mom thinks there are drugs in them too.The mamaks comes to ss14 at 11am and suddenly a hoard of customers will practically serang hendap them to buy the rojak.Then the cendol guy nextdoor will totally look like a ke le fe.(supporting actor)

-Chicken lice.i just had some today.Fresh chicken with the watery chilli sauce and sliced raw  cucumbers.waa...syok.Especially Hainanese chicken rice.I remember when I was a kid,chicken rice was my staple diet whenever i went hang kai with my family.Dun need to ask what i want to eat one,just buy chicken rice.So far my favourite is sold in Taipan USJ near the library.

-Yau char kuai.Oil fried devils.Good with porridge,even better by themselves.The amount of oil dripping of them are sinful enough but worth it if you don't eat them often.Additionally,they look phallic.Oh yeah,bite it babeh.XD

-Sate.OK,besides the annoying fact that I am yet to discover a technique to eat all the peanut sauce in that small shallow bowl,satay is almost synonymous with kenduri.And kajang.Where an annoying uncle lives,but that's besides the point.I dunno...grilling sate on the spot somehow feels like a festival in itself.And if you have good imagination it can seem phallic as well. D:

-Speaking about festivals,next up is teh tarik.Hmm...I've never seen a teh tariking competition live.But you have to admit that tariking somehow makes low grade tea taste good.eh...wait a minute...is teh tarik tea or coffee...ok,nevermind.

-And speaking about drinks,next up is sugar cane.Which I did not get to drink today.Tastes good without any flavourings or sugar don't it.But then again sugar is made from sugar cane.Pretend you don't know this and savour the fact that you are drinking something that is 100% natural.

-Apam balik.OMG...almost forgot.The one near One Academy damn syok one.It's crunchier and oilier and sweeter than most other ones.Though the one sold by the Chinese guy at the pasar malam near 3K is more generous in portion.And apam balik is so cheap!It's my "I'm Broke"food.

-Dim Sum.OK lah,it's actually Hong Kong food,but it's popular here also.It's just that they are so cute and can choose a lot of varieties.And they usually have prawns in them and I like prawns.I think I like eating small things(no,it's not what you are thinking about),that's why I like sushi and takoyaki and biscuits also.Dainty little things that are eaten with chopsticks and washed down with tea.

-Cat shit.Eh...no,durian.I don't really know which type is which,but i like those that are sweet and watery.My mom prefers the bitter ones though.And when it's durian season,they are sold dirt cheap.Funny thing is that when I was young I didn't like durian.Not because of the smell though.So it's true that durian is an acquired taste.

-Butter prawns/butter crab. Maybe the best part about it is the butter.lol...sinful little deep fried oily bits of egg.But I really like prawns and crab too.The only thing is that eating crab is so mah fan and the meat always get stuck between my fingernails.But the strand like texture is nice...and then if you go to seafood restaurants you get to see all the water animals,the lobsters with the heavy armour and the kick ass fishes that are bigger than your torso.And can see people eating like barbarians and women trying to eat crabs without using the small hammers and using fork and spoon only.I don't care one,I use the hammer and then eat with my fingers and scatter the shells all over the place.

-Tambun biscuits.If you go to Penang,you don't need to buy the cheap pirated dvds or cute batik wraparound  skirts or local artwork.(although i don't mind*hinthint*) just buy tambun biscuits and I'm happy enough.It's messy to eat them but they are cute little things aren't they.

-The biscuit formerly know as honeycomb biscuit.I dunno what it's called,but it's nice.I like to eat the little segments one by one .

-The biscuit formerly known as melting white biscuit.I also don't now what it's called.But you know what I mean.

-The biscuit formerly know as love letters.The formal name is kuih kapit.(lol...i almost typed it as kuih kapek).It's difficult to make and difficult to get the correct texture,but when it's fresh it's a nice and crunchy and layered cute little paper doily lookalike.

-Hong Kong pancake.lol...i don't care,they serve them at chinese weddings and that's good enough for me.HK pancakes are those very thin crispy pastry things with red bean in the middle that they sometimes serve as dessert at hotel weddings together with the ping pei things and the tong sui things.Usually by the time they serve them, some working class people would have gone home to sleep and I can get another portion of the pancakes.And that's why i like chinese weddings.That and the fact that I can get away with drinking wine all in the sake of celebrations.So before I go overseas someone has to get married,ok?

-coconuts.lol.Although the Thai ones are nicer.I'm talking about the coconuts that grow on trees of course,eventhough I do admit that Thai aquas are damn leng lui.

-and at #20, Pisang emas.Small buggers but very sweet.

-oh wait,i think cili padi deserves an honourable mention.

No comments: