Thursday, June 23, 2011

Recently I've been meeting up with the Malaysian kakis over here quite a lot, I think in part because it was just before the start of the Summer term, so it's like squeezing as much fun in as possible before getting back to work. Here are some pictures (very few in my camera, I just realised)

~~~~~~~
Bonfire organised by one of the uni's dorms. I don't stay in the dorm anymore, but I got invited by a friend who does. We started at 1pm, which is very early considering sunset is now at 9pm. (It used to be at 4pm in Winter, what a difference,right?) Much more fun then I expected. I thought everyone would be keeping to themselves since nobody knew each other (just moved in for the new term), but turns out they brought kites and frisbees and were sharing among each other. The bonfire was more of a campfire, and we started it before sundown, but we had a good time toasting hotdogs and marshmallows anyway. Not many pictures since my camera got jammed with sand halfway. Luckily it's back to normal now, I thought I would have to cough out some money to get it fixed. This is what happens when you get overexcited at the beach. My last camera got broken after I dropped it getting sort of chased/intimidated by macaques in Sarawak.
~~~~~~~
And then there was Gi's birthday. Our gang went for karaoke before dinner. I was a bit uncertain since I've never been karaoke-ing before that, but I guess it wasn't bad at all, eventhough the others were mostly Chinese-song types. They kept putting in some English oldies that they know so I wouldn't feel left out, which was pretty nice of them. Now I have another thing on my list to do when I get back to Malaysia; enjoy cheaper karaoke. (Enjoy cheaper everything)

After that we had a buffet Korean grill for dinner. Gi ate for free since it was his birthday. And I swear that buffet paid back for all my months so far of eating vegetarian.
The next day our gang met up again for dinner at my place, and after all the meat, and especially after all the oil and fat of the day before, we tried putting together a detoxifying dinner (ahem...not really) of vegetable pie, scones, parfait and tea.
~~~~~~~
Also went for one of the free museum days at the Golden Gate park. There are several museums in there, but the one I went to was the Conservatory of Flowers. It's housed in a pretty little antique greenhouse.


Predictable angle, I know, but now you know how the whole conservatory building looks like.
Walked a little around the Haight-Ashbury district just outside the park after that, but didn't manage to finish it, I'll have to go back some other time. It's the hippy district, so a lot of weird shops to look at.

~~~~~~~
And with a big oven like this,it's time to try some baking experiments.

What is supposed to become cream puffs. Tasted ok, except that they were stuck to the tray. And being puffs, they were totally empty inside and got squished when I tried to pull them off the tray. So here is a nice presentable picture of them before destruction.
Also, cherries seem to be in season, so I made a cherry pie. Not bad, I think. It uses tapioca pearls to thicken the juice into a jam-like consistency.

No comments: