Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Yeen's to watch list

Sohs, the Oscars are over, so now it's time to make a list of 'I need to see this myself' movies.Biggest winner of the night was The Hurt Locker (which beat Avatar 6 awards to 3, I'm sure there are many angry fans out there). But the thing is that it wasn't shown in Malaysia. Hooray. So naturally that movie starts off the list.


Another winner, for best Documentary, was The Cove. It concerns today's hot topic of animal welfare, especially when it concerns the *cough* Japanese. Surely it will be an interesting and scandalous thing to watch (Food Inc. was scandalous to me, and I liked it :D)
Other than Oscar winners, Alice in Wonderland is coming out on Thursday. I don't really look forward to the 3D glasses experience tho...I dunno...is it just me or is it getting a little gimmicky? But anyways, good things happen when Tim Burton and wife Helena Bonham Carter and lelaki simpanan Johnny Depp collaborate. And then you add Lewis Carroll and you know things are going to get hot. I really hope it doesn't disappoint.
And as we all know, Criccy is a sucker for fantasy stuff. So what happened when I missed watching Dr Parnassus last year? OMG that's liek totally impossible right. But they showed it for such a limited period. I need to watch it. We need more art direction like this.
Next category, the classics of yesteryear.

Schindler's list. Appears on almost all lists of the best movies of all time, and generally agreed as one of the saddest ones too. I first heard about it because Itzhak Perlman played the soundtrack, and Itzhak Perlman is a very powerful marketing tool to Criccy.

The Godfather 1, 2 and 3. It's a sin not to watch this. I just know it.


And everyone's favourite character from their childhood, It. I did watch a portion of it recently, and although it's not the dark/gory/violent/i've been rotting in your septic tank kind of modern horror, it still does make you feel really uneasy.
One more, The English Patient. Mostly I'm curious about it when I found out it was the inspiration behind The Fall. Also right at home in all those 'best films' lists like all the rest of the classics in the list.
~~~~~~
As I'm typing this, I'm listening to the soundtracks from Moulin Rouge!. I think I should rewatch it for like the 7th time. I thought studying it for a college project would make me vomit just at the name. But it's just sheer outlandish brilliance. Who would have known (practically) copyright infringement on a few dozen songs and hodgepodge fashion would be so powerful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

me luv this post! i have both hurt locker and the cove but if only i know how to give it to you coz we might not seeing each other now days :/ maybe during convo rehearsal?
any way Hurt Locker is brilliant. that film offers a realistic emotion and intensity in such a situation.
as for The Cove ugh i dont think i can watch it :[ i just cant stand the red sea with all those innocent poor creature being murdered there to satisfy human needs :( its just to sad to watch.
oh you might want to watch "Where the Wild things are" directed by spike jonze. it's a good one ;]

Yunzi.