Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Somewhat outdated update.

I watched Alice in Wonderland and It. And I cut my hair. Woohoo. It's not as flat as it used to be.

~~~~~~~
I know most people were disappointed about Alice, but I thought it was ok. Not perfect, not Tim Burton's best, but still entertaining enough. The characters themselves were well worth the ticket price, although yes, the Mad Hatter was a bit emo for my liking, but I still think the tea party was the best scene. I think the best characters were the March Hare and the Cheshire cat(don't you just feel like hugging it?). Anne Hathaway was pretty funny as the White Queen once you get over the overly-drifty feeling.Didn't really like the design for the army of red cards though, somehow looks a bit static compared to the rest.Also spotted some animation and camera tracking mistakes, but that's made up for by the good special effects in other parts.

~~~~~~~
Also, finished watching It. Usually I don't feel much horror from old movies, but this one still makes me have a wierd feeling in my stomach. Pretty good for a guy with bad anatomy and rotten teeth, eh? Actually I totally forgot what the storyline was about the first time i watched it, maybe the clown was too mentally scarring for a small kid. But watching it again I think the story has more to do about friendship rather than just a pure horror theme. Maybe that's the key to making a good horror movie and not just some forgettable gore-fest. The special effects were comfortingly old school as well, i noticed they used stop-motion for animating the spider form of It, as well as a lot of trick camera framing to let you just guess what happened(come to think about it sometimes gory cannibalism scenes get a little un-classy). Which, as a side note, reminds me of House of Wax, which is as un-classy as it gets, but it was entertaining in a sick way to see how the characters were murdered.

No comments: