Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The other day, I went around a supermarket produce section looking for random ingredients I haven't tried before, and I settled on these; 3 kinds of squash- spaghetti, delicata and acorn. And then I bought them without any plan for what to do with them next.

I've been a bit curious about spaghetti squash, and I've heard that once cooked, you can scrape the flesh out with a fork so it looks like strands of spaghetti. So cooking it was half the fun, just to see what would happen.
I fried up some kale and carrots because they were starting to look sad in my fridge, but it went surprisingly well together with the squash. The one on the left is just for fun because I had coriander leaves and a square plate. The squash doesn't taste or feel like spaghetti of course, it's more like julienned turnip.
As for the acorn squash; roasted with butter, salt and brown sugar. The delicata is stuffed with garlic risotto. And I still have left over spaghetti squash for a soup and one more unknown use (maybe a salad). And also an accumulated box full of seeds to be roasted later! So I used up all 3 squashes today. That was satisfying.

~~~~~~~
Another project was to replicate some of the vegan milks I've been trying so far. They are quite expensive if you buy them from the supermarket, but very cheap to make. I found 2 of those recipes online, for rice milk and oat milk. Simple enough, all you do is boil the rice/oats with lots of water, then add vanilla, salt, sugar and a spice to your taste- cinnamon for rice or nutmeg for oats- and blend
(Ignore the bottle's label, it's from another drink)
It came out alright, but then you realise it isn't as healthy as you would like, because it's basically sugary water with some other flavours. I guess at least if you buy it from a supermarket it comes with all kinds of vitamins and minerals added artificially. The 'heart healthy' claim on some oat milk packages is a little bit of a stretch though, there's only a pinch of oats and a mound of sugar in there so more likely you'll get some heart disease than cure it by drinking oat milk. Even oatmeal brands admit you have to eat oats at all your meals for like a week to see any difference at all. The rule is: do whatever it takes to keep them coming back for more, I guess.

~~~~~~~
As a sort of emergency junkfood, I remembered a recipe idea from the newspapers back in Malaysia, which is making a sort of cake in a cup. Just add whatever ingredient you would put into a cake, but in smaller quantities, and mix them together in a cup. Then microwave for a minute, and you're done! You can put anything in it, but it goes best if you add cocoa powder and chocolate chips to it to make a sort of chocolate cupcake in a real cup. I found out, though, that it's better to leave out the egg since that makes the pastry rubbery when microwaved. And also a slightly undercooked, slightly gooey pastry is more fun.
I put oats in mine this time and ate it with peanut butter.

No comments: