Sunday, May 22, 2011

I survived my shifting ordeal! My arms hate me and never want to talk to me again, but besides that, I'm still in 1 piece! Feels good thinking I won't have to be shifting every term from now onwards. It's shocking how stuff piles up, I just came here with 3 bags, and now I have a little mountain. Mostly traditional sculpting stuff and my spices collection though, but it reinforces my will not to collect bulky stuff. Took a taxi, plus 2 more rides on the train to get everything here, but I think I was lucky not to miss any timelines. ( like missing my check out appointment, which might cost someone $25, or trying to collect my stuff from uni when the building has closed). Things are a little messy in the new place because of the renovation going on, and because there are currently 5 people staying in a place that usually has only 2 (housemate's visiting relatives) but it's manageable. I'm back in Ingleside, by the way. It's the same house as I was in Winter.
Apparently there's some wood rot in the wall which causes leaking, so it's being replaced. Haven't yet experienced cold drafts of outside air, or noisy repair work, and I hope I won't have to experience it later either.
Trying to adjust my menu by eating stuff that doesn't require refrigeration. I can think of rice and noodles, which are dry and can be cooked just before eating. And fruits. The fridge is a little too full with 5 people sharing now. This was today's dinner.An orange, an apple, an avocado, cherries and walnuts. Not bad at all, I think. Cherries seem to be in season now, it's being sold everywhere, so I bought some. I don't think I've ever eaten cherries besides those horrible gaudy maraschino ones. It's sad, I know.

~~~~~~~
And here are some pics of this term's completed projects.

Ecorche. I had to lug this fella back on the train because it was marked at 1pm and I had to move out at 2.30pm, so I shifted my other stuff by taxi first and took this back separately. It's 1/2 human size, btw. And heavy. Yes. And my coat now needs washing more than ever because some plastilina rubbed off onto my coat while I carried it back. It was fun to make though, and very helpful to make you remember the muscle system. I know the legs are too thin...I was wondering about that...
Organic modeling. First time using zBrush! It wasn't as difficult to get used to as I thought, although I haven't yet explored many functions yet. I hope my lecturer was pleasantly surprised to see my model posed and textured.
Advanced texturing and lighting. I somehow like it more when the boy was bald. I liked his shiny little pate.Lets see...we learned a lot of new software and plug-ins, but only as an introduction. I'll list them just for satisfaction.
- subsurface scattering (skin shader)
- shave and a haircut (plug-in for the hair)
- Renderman (for rendering the hair only)
- Mudbox (for seamless texturing of round monsters)
- Nuke (compositing)
- UV Layout (it's for unwraping UVs semi-automatically, although that was done for us-not very well, I had to redo some UVs for a better workflow. What?!)

No comments: