Wednesday, May 25, 2011

After so many months of walking pass it, I finally went into the SF public library's main building at the Civic Centre, yesterday. Also because I won't be back in uni until August, so I need another source of reading material. But man...the library is so much better than the ones in Malaysia. Membership is free, so I got a card (eventhough I'm foreign, it's still free. I guess that's where all those high taxes go). You get to borrow 50 items for 3 weeks, and it's renewable once.And low penalties for overdue items. Kids don't have to pay fines either. And one of the best things is that it's not only books you can borrow, but music and movie cds, magazines, comics and sheet music too.They also have sections for foreign languages; Chinese, Russian, Japanese, etc (I think that selection changes according to location, like more Chinese material in Chinatown). The main building is the largest with 6 floors, but there are many smaller ones in the various neighbourhoods as well, plus the mobile library. Ah...that greedy little feeling of too many options to choose from feels so good. Too many venues to check out, and too many stuff to borrow.Their collection is pretty good too, quite up to date, has lots of popular titles, and books with interesting blurbs. Only thing to complain about is the toilets, which for some strange reason has awkwardly low doors and isn't very clean, which makes you feel like you're in China.

And today I visited the branch nearest where I stay because the renovation going on in the house was way too noisy. It's small, but well stocked. Just a glance around and I found many titles I'd been looking for. Also, it's recently been renovated, just reopened 2 weeks ago, so it's really nice and clean and comfortable.

And look what I got while grocery shopping. A dollar coin. I was a bit suspicious whether or not it was real, since I've never seen it before. I checked online, and apparently it is, although it's a bit rarer. Probably the same thing as a RM2 note in Malaysia.

No comments: