Sunday, April 17, 2011

I got my Ripstik! These past few days I've been bringing it down to the basement to learn how to ride it, where the floor is smooth and flat, there are few people, and plenty of walls to cling on to. I've been making good progress, I think, but I need more before I bring it out onto the streets. It feels quite reassuringly solid, probably a bit heavier than a skateboard(it's 4 kgs, but there are lighter versions for those who like to do tricks), but I bet it's a lot more fun too. The way it's ridden makes it more similar to a snowboard than a skateboard, as in swerving the board sideways with your hips instead of pushing forwards with your legs. I also found out that it can be a good form of exercise for legs and hips. I hope I can get good enough at it to ride around Ingleside or the wharf over the Summer holidays, that would be awesome, with the scenery.


It was pretty ironic though, that when I was asking around for opinions whether I should get this, that friends my age thought it would be too dangerous, but my parents thought it was a good idea. I think it's a good idea too, if you don't try it, you'll never know whether or not you can do it, and I'd like to say that I did some caster boarding, before I get too old to be impulsive enough to try this sort of stuff.

No comments: