Thursday, March 17, 2011

Food entry.

I'm currently in the stage where I just randomly chuck whatever I have in the fridge together to make a meal. I imagine if I was in one of those reality TV cooking competitions I would have gotten yelled at several times. Just now I got hungry, and without any ingredients that seem to match each other in my fridge, I made pancakes with frozen corn and black pepper in it, and ate those with a little mayonnaise, because that's what yeenyees do when left to their own devices. Such strange animals.

But with the Spring break coming, I think I can do a little more experimenting with new and proper recipes. As usual, on Wednesdays, I had Mexican food for lunch. My method of selecting what to eat is: if you haven't tried it before, that's what you'll get. So today, I got acquainted with refried beans ('re' apparently means well cooked, not cooked 2 times) which tasted like good comfort food, so that'll probably be one thing to try making. It's basically mashed pinto beans with spices in it, but feels very filling when stuffed into the chimichanga I had for lunch.(I was curious to try chimichanga since one of my lecturers said the model we're working on this term was named after it)

Also, I want to try making Japanese rice balls. So I googled a recipe and found a site, and now I feel like trying a whole list of Japanese recipes. Just a few simple stuff like cold tofu and zarusoba, those kind of things. It also helps that I can walk to Japantown and get a few supplies. I like my little collection of spices and sauces...
Lately as well, I've been interested about 'superfoods', since I have freedom to buy my own groceries and don't buy meat. I think even psychologically it helps and makes you feel happy that what you are eating is doing you good. Most often on the list are things like berries(especially blueberries),goji(wolf) berries, yogurt, eggs, nuts, beans(the darker the better), salmon, broccoli, sweet potatoes, oats, tea(especially green) , whole grains and even chocolate.I know the list probably has something to do with marketing strategies, but all the same it's fun to choose snacks from the list and try a few things I haven't tried before. I even found a section in said website about zakkokumai, which is rice plus any kind of grain.Premixed bags of grains are sold in stores, but I think the fun part about it is you can buy your own grains and customise you mix, for something with a more complex taste and texture instead of the usual white rice that you eat with your dishes.

No comments: