Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yesterday, I went to the Academy of Science museum in the Golden Gate Park. It was a 3rd Wednesday of the month, so it was free day. I arrived there 1 hour before opening time, but there was already quite a long line, I guess that those who arrived later might not have been able to enter at all, since there's a limit to how many people they allow into the museum at one time.So you can guess how popular it was, probably because usual admission fee is quite expensive, and also since it's holiday season, so lots of school groups, summer camp groups, and families with children.

I didn't take any photos, so here are some I found online.
Apparently the museum has just been renovated, and incorporates a lot of green building solutions, like the rooftop garden here, that insulates the building and collects rain water. They also have solar panels, glass windows to maximise natural lighting, and wall insulation made out of recycled jeans.
The planetarium was something I haven't seen before. It's sort of a 3D theater, but instead of glasses, the ceiling is a screen that is a 180 degree dome, so you feel like you are enveloped in the movie.

The entire lower floor of the museum was the aquarium. The saltwater for the aquariums is pumped from the sea (which isn't far away) and filtered before being used, so it was pretty clean. I quite like looking at water dwelling things; jellyfish, tropical fishes and other unusual things, so I spent quite a long time in this section. They also had a small tidepool section where you can touch some of the animals (supervised by staff, of course)
I didn't get to see all of the sections of the museum, partly because I walked around pretty slowly, but also because of the crowd, I couldn't get into the rainforest section. I'll probably go back next month, and check out some of the other sights in the park.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please for Christ sake please help me
I need your help and support to help PAY MY Tuition Fees. I need your only 3 to 5 minutes approximately

What you have to do is
1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
and that's it.

NOTE: Only ONE click is needed.
I will be grateful to you.
May God Bless You.