Sunday, September 5, 2010

Just a short update. Not many pictures these past few days.

More 'freebies' from uni (this is called 'included in the price')

Sculpting tools for figure modeling class. The materials for the actual sculpture (wood, support piping, clay) were provided as well, which is pretty useful since I didn't understand what we were supposed to buy, just from the lecturer's list. Even worse since each tool comes in a gazillion sizes and slight variation of shape, not all of which are available at the art shops. Also, the clay was really heavy, something like 22kgs, in a box. I think that would be expensive, most sculpting clays are sold in those matchbox(or at most, butter block) sized cubes, with big price tags on them. Left the heavy stuff in the workshop though. Not going to take the bus lugging that with me. Good thing, though, is that the lecturer told us we can take more material from the workshop if we want to do some other projects of our own. If that's true, then the $300 lab fees is justified :)

Note: the tools given were new,and used to be clean.

Another AAU shirt. I got this one from recreation classes. So far I've gone for belly dancing and zumba (which I prefer) Zumba is kind of like a mix of various Latino dances, I think. Tried going for Indian dance on Saturday, but the instructor didn't turn up. Good thing that I live just next door, some students had to take the train down.

This is not a pink shirt, btw. It's red, and not shiny.
~~~~~~~
Cooking update. I tried making curry carrot soup the other day(I had 3 carrots that were starting to look a bit dead, and I was craving Indian food) , but failed miserably. I'll keep in mind not to attempt any recipe with less than 5 ingredients next time. So I reused the carrot soup for another Indian dish; lentil curry rice. Which turned out quite ok (nothing like what the mamaks can cook though). The lentils really make the dish work, it turns the sauce thick. But all the same, it was a vegetarian recipe, so being the meat eater I am, I cheated and added some beef, and...jengjengjeng...oyster sauce. Seriously, that helped a lot. It's called fusion food, ok. The rice is just usual white rice, with turmeric in the water. The taste is very slight, but if it wasn't there, you would notice, I think. Also, the colour looks appetising. There were some papadams also, but that didn't work. The label says to use either a microwave oven or deepfrying, but I used just a normal oven, which was all I had. The papadams just became burnt, and not expanded. Ah well, I ate them anyway. Still tastes correct, even if the texture isn't. The curry has raisins in it, which I don't think is part of mamak cuisine, maybe it's North Indian.

No comments: